So, I've got my "lucky bamboo" set up in my small aquarium. It has more space and more stable conditions that way, and I want to see how well it does in the safety of its acrylic pond...but mostly, I think it'll need to live in a tank when I take it home because otherwise it'll just be cat food like the last stalks were. The thing about "lucky bamboo"...it isn't lucky, it isn't bamboo, and it isn't even from Asia. It's from Africa. It was just conveniently repurposed for feng shui.
I guess it's lucky for ME that I don't care what it really is (Dracaena sanderiana), or that the only thing it has in common with actual bamboo is that they're both segmented (hence the misnomer, I suppose) monocots. They aren't even in the same taxonomic order. It's cute, and that's good enough for me. At least until I'm shopping for hardwood flooring, then I'll care about the distinction between D.sanderiana and real bamboo...only...real bamboo isn't wood. It's grass. Almost 1500 species of overgrown grass.
...and I'm not sure why I care more about this than the Physics II homework sprawled out in front of me. Call it a convenient accident that I stumbled upon a tidbit of new (to me) information I could rant about, thus facilitating my well-honed procrastination skills.
No comments:
Post a Comment